[dev] Kronolith category/color patch, per user

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Mon Apr 25 07:06:47 PDT 2005

Quoting Kevin Myer <kevin_myer at iu13.org>:

> Attached, please find my second attempt to provide a solution to what
> is in my
> opinion, a major usability issue with Kronolith as it currently
> exists - namely that the display of colors and categories only is
> shown for the primary user and does not take into account other
> users' colors and categories.  In an
> environment where you share calendars with multiple individuals, or where you
> have organization wide calendars, this quickly becomes very unwieldy.

I think something else is the root issue here. I say this because my
direct experience (which is admittedly with fewer users, but my wife is
a pretty sharp beta tester <g>) is that showing the user's own colors
is what the user expects.

I think you're looking for an easy way to tell visually who an event
belongs to, or at least, whether or not it belongs to *you*. Is that
right? I think the color-based way you're proposing overloads the
meaning of categories bit - a category is a category, if your Vacation
events are really in a different *category* than your coworkers, then
they should be a different category, not one with the same name. Also,
I think this would break down in larger environments very quickly - I
have 10 differently-colored vacation events, who's that? Am *I* on
vacation? I don't know! ;) (also, people can still pick the same
colors, especially in larger numbers).

What would you think of coming up with a visual indication (something
in the border, perhaps, paired with a title= notation for non-visual
users) of whether the event is owned by you or not?

That leaves categories just categories, and I *think* gets at what you
want. Let me know if this sounds right.

-chuck

Quincy Adams