[dev] User interface options question

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Sun May 22 09:46:36 PDT 2005

Quoting Kevin Myer <kevin_myer at iu13.org>:

> A user interface question:  a confusing issue can occur if a user is
> in the IMP options screen and they click on the Filters option.  It
> takes them to another screen, that has a link to Ingo, instead of to
> an option that they can save, and which then takes them back to the
> options screen.  Users will have a
> tendency to get lost if some options return you to the main options
> screen and
> others break you out into a module.
>
> I'm trying to get the concept across that the left sidebar should be used for
> navigation, which could be enhanced if there weren't easy ways to get lost in
> other modules' option menus :)

So is the suggestion to remove the filters link from IMP's preferences?
I'm fine with that, personally...

> Same idea applies with the way HEAD now displays Options for all
> modules in the left frame, and they show up in the menu of each
> application.  I think making all the Options available in the left
> sidebar and totally eliminating the Option item from the application
> menu would serve two purposes:  1) one-stop shopping (clicking) for
> setting all options, and 2) gaining back one icon space in the menu
> bar.  If someone wanted to run just a single app, without a sidebar,
> they could add an Options button back in the menu by editing menu.php.

Well, you'd also have to make sure to show it to anyone who had the
sidebar disabled. Also, I really prefer the app menu options buttons to
the sidebar; I don't like having the list of all apps prefs there. But
I'd be okay with the change if we were consistent, I guess.

-chuck

Quincy Adams