[dev] User interface options question

Kevin Myer kevin_myer at iu13.org
Mon May 23 09:13:18 PDT 2005

There are two issues, one interface, one config:

1) how a user gains access to modules (sometimes through Options, sometimes
through sidebar)
2) how an admin configures preferences to control #1 or to disable certain
features

#1 has been discussed and historical use trumps a change at this point.

I don't want to have to remove a link from a config file, for an option that
provides access to a module.  I currently have to comment out code to get rid
of preferences related to Fetchmail and I have to comment out code to get rid
of White/Blacklist and Forward rules (which are superceded by the
functionality
of Sieve in our environment).  I know I should quit complaining and
just figure
out how to code up a patch that makes them configurable but optional but I was
hoping someone would see the value in that and do it for me, rather than me do
it and then have it rejected because backwards compatibility is more important
:D

I'd like to be able to adhere to the following axioms:

User Interface:
A)  If you want to configure the behavior of an application module, go to
Options and if you want to work with functionality provided in a module, goto
the sidebar (if its enabled), or your menu.
Admin Config:
B)  If all $_pref's are locked, then the $prefGroup disappears from screen of
Options (or as a corollary, if a $prefGroup is defined, it sould have one or
more $prefs attached to it - Filters has none)

This might be akin to zealousness and nitpicking, but predictable results and
locations make for happy users and admins.  Exceptions create
confusion. But of
course, if its an exception that all users expect (like all IMP 3.X users
expecting a module to be available as an option), then is it really an
exception?  :)

You're right - ultimately all of it can be changed by an admin, which is a far
cry better than having it compiled in a binary somewhere, delivered from a
vendor who won't even listen to feature requests.

Kevin
--
Kevin M. Myer
Senior Systems Administrator