[dev] Horde "personalities"

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Fri May 27 21:35:22 PDT 2005

Quoting Kevin Myer <kevin_myer at iu13.org>:

> The current distribution method distributes new themes with the
> application. I'm proposing a centralized approach to that - do away with
> horde/<module>/themes/mytheme and replace it with
> horde/themes/mytheme/<module>
> and distributed all module themes with the theme tarball.

I do not disagree with your point, except that to do this, we *must*
move away from the current "untar in place == installing" method -
i.e., distributed files will be laid out differently from installed
files. Until that happens, we'd have to either make default users copy
lots of stuff around when installing an application (what do you mean I
have to move all this stuff from imp into horde to install it?), or
distribute every application's themes and graphics with horde, which,
especially for CVS, would be ... tedious. You make it easier for people
to develop/install custom themes at the expense of people who just use
the distributed themes.

When we have apps installable via pear install horde::foo, then it
could work, and I'm open to it.

> How to do that, then?  Wiki?  Telling users or administrators to search the
> mailing lists to find additional bits needed to provide eye candy
> enhancements
> doesn't encourage adoption of the eye candy or the software :) On the other
> hand, pointing requests to a FAQ link that in turn points you to a Wiki entry
> or other browseable selection of eye candy entrees would certainly help
> facilitate that.  What about using merk for that?  Hrm, for that matter, what
> about using merk to let Horde users shop for the modules they want and the
> add-ins they want and when they checkout, they get a customized tarball of
> their selections? :)

:P is what I have to say to you.

Otherwise, wiki for now. When we get a new website written, who knows.

-chuck

Quincy Adams