[dev] Fwd: [PEAR-DEV] database abstraction layers in PEAR

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Fri Jun 3 08:44:31 PDT 2005

Are we interested in helping out, with the goal of adding mdb2 drivers
to some of our applications/libraries in the future?

----- Forwarded message from lsmith at php.net -----
    Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 11:34:46 +0200
    From: Lukas Smith <lsmith at php.net>
Subject: [PEAR-DEV] database abstraction layers in PEAR
      To: pear-dev at lists.php.net

Hi,

I have gotten little feedback on my blog post regarding the MDB2 API in
relation to the PDO API. However all feedback I got was along the
lines: go with the PDO API. So that is what I will do. As such the MDB2
API will become much more different than originally anticipated in
relation to the PEAR DB API. So it goes. I know alot of people have
invested alot of code on the PEAR DB API but its quite clear that the
PDO API is where the future is at.

The next steps for me are as follows:
- split drivers into separate packages
- make a final MDB release (there are a number of bug fixes in CVS)
- work on the remaining MDB2 - PDO incompatibilities .. the biggest
piece of work remains the merging of the statement and result class
- write a PDO based core driver, that specific PDO drivers can be based on

Again the goals behind MDB2:
- provide true SQL abstraction (PDO does not have this goal)
- offer a PDO like API for PHP4 users
- make it easy for PHP users to migrate from/to MDB2/PDO
- provide a framework for custom database related code

I would really appreciate it if people would help here. Its quite a
huge task. The bulk of the work is done, but it took over 2 years to
get this far. So anyone willing to be a co-lead for a driver please
step up! Anyone interested in helping with the core of MDB2 are also
welcome.

regards,
Lukas

----- End forwarded message -----