[dev] rewrite of Horde_Form

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 06:55:17 PDT 2005

Jan,

On 6/6/05, Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org> wrote:
> > Further, on the strict client side of things, one thing we might want
> > to keep in mind is adhering to unobtrusive javascript (forgive me if
> > I'm preaching to the choir -- see:
>
> Absolutely, I consider all this AJAX hype at the moment a danger to
> accessability and usability. Where used it must be implemented very
> carefully, non-exlusive and always thought twice if the problem
> couldn't be solved better differently.

I completely agree with you when it comes to developers trying to
create traditional web apps with AJAX, just because AJAX is new and
cool. This is where the accessibility and usability problems mainly
arise, and developers find themselves introducing hacks to try to
recreate functionality like being able to bookmark a particular
application state.

However, there are plenty of valid uses of AJAX for new kinds of web
applications (e.g. Gmail) that do not require such bookmarking.
Further, as I described previously, I think it can be used to improve
usability, if used properly. This is probably the main challenge of
this project, and one I'm excited to get a crack at (hopefully).

Thanks for your comments. They help to get a footing on Horde's
development philosophy.

--
Matt Warden
Miami University