[dev] rewrite of Horde_Form

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Mon Jun 6 11:33:50 PDT 2005

Quoting Matt Warden <mwarden at gmail.com>:

>> Sounds good. Keep your eyes peeled on our wiki page for the next day or
>> so, I'll be adding some ideas on how a Horde_Form rewrite could be part
>> of a next-gen Horde app development engine. Would standardize things to
>> make ajax able to rely on a certain structure, that sort of thing.
>
> I'm looking forward to seeing these ideas. I'm not sure whether you
> were referring to the client side or the server side of things, or the
> interaction of the two. As I said, I think I have some good ideas
> about abstracting and encapsulating the interaction of the two (the
> same ideas that are to be published on DevX).

I was mostly referring to the interaction - ways of organizing Horde
applications so that a single AJAX interface would always know where to
find a Form instance to get validation information from - that sort of
thing.

> Further, on the strict client side of things, one thing we might want
> to keep in mind is adhering to unobtrusive javascript (forgive me if
> I'm preaching to the choir -- see:
> http://www.onlinetools.org/articles/unobtrusivejavascript/ ), as I
> feel AJAX should be subject to the same restrictions that most agree
> should be applied to Javascript (for obvious reasons, as AJAX of
> course uses Javascript; but also for other reasons). I have a pretty
> good example of using Javascript unobtrusively in my sandbox at
> http://mwarden.f2o.org/sandbox/collapsible_elements.htm (it was a
> functional test and could use some visual cues as to what to do --
> just click on 'expand/collapse'). Note how there is no intermingling
> of Javascript in the markup (i.e., every bit of JS could have just as
> easily been moved to an external file), and all Javascript-specific
> element attributes are set via DOM. Additionally, if you turn off
> Javascript, you'll notice that the paragraph will be shown even if it
> is supposed to be initially hidden (thus, it is fully accessible).

Excellent. That's definitely the direction we want to go with
additional javascript, including AJAX in Horde.

> I see. Unfortunately, I went ahead and and applied after Mr. Djukic
> responded, and obviously didn't include what has been discussed here
> since.

If necessary you can always resubmit your application and ask Google to
disregard the previous one.

-chuck

Quincy Adams