[dev] strange session problem

Didi Rieder adrieder at sbox.tugraz.at
Thu Jul 21 07:57:31 PDT 2005

Hi,

we just recently added 2 new servers to our Horde/IMP farm. The old servers
are running
under Sparc/Solaris 9 and the new ones under x86/Solaris 10. All theses
servers are located behind a Cisco loadbalancer and sessions are stored in
a mysql-DB on a separate
server. The Horde/IMP installation is the same on all the servers (copied
from one to all
the others).
Now, when a user logs on (IMP is used to authenicate) it gets directed to
one of the servers by the loadbalancer. Lets assume it is one of the old
server. After clicking a while and reading messages, the loadbalancer
directs the request to another server, so far so good. If the request is
directed to one of the old (Sparc/Solaris 9) servers everything is fine,
but if the request is directed to one of the new (x86/Solaris 10) servers
the user gets logged out (imap authenitcation failure).
If the first login is done on one of the new server, then everything is
fine as long as the requests are directed to one of the new server. It
fails again if a switch between an old and a new server is done.

Can someone think of a good reason for this behavior? Or can someone
suggest a solution
for the problem?

We could use sticky connections using the session cookie, but then the
Horde cookie would have to have an uniq prefix for every server (see:
<http://makeashorterlink.com?E1FE2187B>) and I don't know how to do that.

Thanks for any hint

    Didi

--