[dev] RFC: Horde_Form Rewrite's XHTML Output

Patrice Levesque horde.wayne at ptaff.ca
Sat Aug 6 17:58:21 PDT 2005

> I'd like some feedback on the structure of the rewritten Horde_Form's
> XHTML. Here is a test page:

Three and a half things:

    1) Embed form fields in their labels when possible, meaning instead
    of:

    use something like:

    I read a bit ago that some screenreaders prefer it that way; I have
    nothing to back this right now but I can't see why you'd resist :)

    2) For "required" images, the alt="*" seems perfect to me because
    it's an alternative to the shown bullet.  title="*" though is
    irrelevant, the title attribute should not be used to replace the
    image but to supply extra information.  title="Required field"
    might be closer to what we want.

    3) Radio buttons should have one selection at all times; I don't
    know if the Horde API handles that, but in your demo page nothing is
    selected by default in the Radio Group set

    3.5) I may be wrong about this, but the descriptions that are shown
    at the very right should be reproduced in the corresponding input
    field title, meaning that for the "Enum" example, it should look
    like this:

    <select name="opciones" id="opciones" title="Simple description">

    If not, there is no semantic relation whatsoever between the
    description and the form field.

    In a modern browser era (we're only ~15% there), there would be no
    separate div and this description-embedded-in-title would be shown
    visually through CSS :content; we are not there yet.

--
        horde.wayne at ptaff.ca