[dev] Namespaces and preferences

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Mon Aug 15 10:37:20 PDT 2005

I just take a quick look at the implications that the improved
namespace support has to existing settings and preferences.

Michael, as far as I understood you want to store folder preferences
now including the namespace prefix, and provide an upgrade script for
existing preferences. I think this is a viable solution. We could even
convert preferences automatically on login, and store a flag in the
user's preferences when we're done, to avoid duplicate conversions.

This would unfortunately make it impossible to run IMP 4.0 and 4.1 side
by side. Thus I propose a different solution. We currently store folder
preferences without the preamble string, that means without the folder
and namespace prefix configured in servers.php. This is most probably
pointing to the "personal" namespace in all cases. This already made it
impossible to use folders from different namespaces. While this
probably wasn't the best solution, we could avoid the conversion and bc
break, if we still assume that all preference folders are in the
personal namespace. That would mean no difference to what we have today
but makes the switch much smoother.

The only place where this wouldn't work is the nav_polled setting (and
maybe the expanded setting?), but that is not a biggie, because these
preferences are additive. Once you reselected your folders in the new
version, you can use them in both the old and the new version without
interference.

If we take this approach, we should add a parameter to the flist
methods to only show folders from the personal namespace, using these
listings in the preference UI.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/