[dev] [discuss] Viewing docs with images via wvHtml

Tom Evans tevans at tachometry.com
Sun Sep 11 17:07:18 PDT 2005

Hello all,

I read back through the list archives and found some old discussions
(circa 2001) about displaying the images produced by wvHtml when
converting Word documents to HTML. In summary, there was some concern
about writing these images into a directory that is served by the web
server, so an offline temp directory is currently being used for this
purpose and the document images are not rendered in the viewer.

I have put together a patch for the msword MIME viewer (attached) that
allows a system administrator to optionally configure Horde to serve up
these images. Two new configuration options (blank by default for BC)
have been added to the "Images" setup tab to define a directory and
corresponding URL/path for serving the images produced by wvHtml. The
target directory is owned (mode 700) by the web server user account. Not
included is an optional cron job that will periodically (every 30
minutes or so) clean up stale images in the directory.

We have been using this patch on our installation with good results.
However, I thought this might warrant some discussion on the dev list
before submitting an enhancement request via the bug tracker. Any
comments or concerns about this approach?

Tom

--
Open Source that means business.