[dev] Horde prefs.php.dist file...

Marc Jauvin marc at r4l.com
Wed Oct 26 07:40:03 PDT 2005

Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org> wrote:

> Quoting Marc Jauvin <marc at r4l.com>:
>
>> I've been using horde for a while, and there's one thing that I always
>> find anoying: whenever you have a custom prefs.php file and the
>> "prefs.php.dist" file is updated, you need to manually "merge" the
>> changes you make to the defaults...
>>
>> I was thinking, is there a way (or would it be of interest to others)
>> to have an "overlay" file that would override the default settings
>> instead?
>>
>> Here's what I mean:
>>
>>  - the prefs.php.dist would be renamed "prefs.php"
>>  - the Horde code would read that file
>>  - if a "prefs.php.custom" exists, the values within would override
>> the defaults
>>
>> That way, new preferences would be used automatically, and your custom
>> settings would not have to be touched (unless there are big changes).
>>
>> What do you guys think?
>
> I'd rather have a prefs.xml to match conf.xml. I don't think it's a
> great idea to double the number of prefs files included per page load.

Can you explain more in details how that would work? I don't see how
this solution would keep YOUR settings from being overwritten... or
does the mechanism with the .XML files load YOUR settings from the
generated .PHP file?

If so, I have no problem with this either, as long as it's easy to keep
your settings.

Thanks.

--
Marc Jauvin