[dev] Logistics Module?

Robin Rainton robin at rainton.com
Mon Nov 7 15:25:41 PST 2005

Hi,

I've been asked recently if it was possible to develop a web based logisitics
app. I don't see any freeware/open source about and am thinking this is a task
well suited to a Horde module.

Sounds 'As Simple As'(tm):

- Create tables to store details of shipping classes (bulk liquids, pallets,
etc), resources (containers, trucks, etc.), resource limits, etc.
- Have an admin screen for entry of shipping classes, resource details, etc.
- Enter shipment details using addresses from turba.
- Do some sort of resource (truck/container/etc.) allocation based on
requirements & dates.
- Shipments appear in kronolith, but have to be edited with the new module.
- Logistics module would have it's own 'shipments list' page (pending, history,
etc).

Does anyone have any thoughts on how easy this might be though? In reality how
long is the Horde learning curve (for a seasoned PHP developer?).

Cheers,

Robin