[dev] Virtual address book permissions

Michael Rubinsky mike at theupstairsroom.com
Wed Nov 16 15:14:22 PST 2005

> Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 19:25:34 +0100
> From: Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>
> Subject: Re: [dev] Virtual address book permissions
> To: dev at lists.horde.org
>
> Zitat von Michael Rubinsky <mike at theupstairsroom.com>:
>
>> With the new virtual address book code, it will be possible to set
>> permissions on the vbook independently from the actual source address
>> book.  This allows an admin to set up vbooks for, let's say each
>
> To be honest, I think you're making the virtual address books more
> complicated than necessary. Don't make them shares at all, this would
> be much simpler to implement, just store them as saved search queries
> in the preferences.

My original implementation did just that, very similar to the way IMP
does vfolders.  I had it running on a small test server with a handful
of users. A number of the users had expressed interest in being able to
share the vbooks so I reimplemented it to use a share as the 'backend'.
  I thought it would be useful to have these vbooks available to people
without each user having to create his/her own vbook.  A new
employee/student whatever would just login to Turba/IMP etc and will
see a listing of all the people in the Support Deptartment etc...  If
the consensus is to not go that route then, I'll just re-reimpliment ;)

Thoughts?