[dev] [cvs] commit: horde/services javascript.php horde/scripts/jsmin Makefile jsmin.c framework/Horde Horde.php horde/docs CHANGES horde/config conf.xml

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Sun Nov 27 08:44:16 PST 2005

> Maybe I'm missing something, but the purpose of this script was to
> compress static javascript files (after installation, not in the
> distribution).
> Compressing our small php-generated js files on the fly seems a bad
> tradeoff compared to bandwith usage to me, especially if you already
> use output compression.

I agree, I am not in favor of this implementation. I'd like to see this
removed and have us, for static JS files, store a src/ version of the
full one and the compressed version for production use.

Another reason I don't like this on-the-fly compression is that it
means that any error line numbers in a js console aren't going to match
a file. With compressed and full versions, at least you can match up
the appropriate code.

-chuck

--
"So we're talking near-sonic speeds for a vegetable."
Reasons to go to the Punkin Chunkin World Championships