[dev] Browser support

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Tue Dec 6 07:31:25 PST 2005

Quoting Roel Gloudemans <roel at gloudemans.info>:

> Are Explorer 5 and Explorer 6 on W2K on the list? Because at the moment
> I'm having problems with Explorer 6 on W2K. The sidebar doesn't appear
> and there are some other errors also.

6 definitely is.

> All these errors are JavaScript related. Cause for the sidebar problem
> is the usage of the "array.push" command. Accoring to my JavaScript
> manual support for this command was added in ie6. But appearently this
> is dependent on OS.

Wow. Didn't see that one coming.

> I have replaced all instances of array.push('foo') with
> array[array.length] = 'foo' and now I have the sidebar running again.
> (Haven't got a proper patch tough since I had to hack this on the
> production server).
>
> Do we drop support for the older browsers or do I need to scan alle
> Javascripts on the push command and replace it as shown above?

We should at least make sure that 6 works everywhere, and if this is
the only thing keeping 5 from working as well, that's a bonus. I'm
inclined to draw the line at IE 5.5, fwiw. Anyway, I'd suggest working
up a patch using something like this instead:

if (typeof Array.prototype.push == 'undefined') {
     Array.prototype.push = function() {
         var l = this.length;
         for (var i = 0; i < arguments.length; i++) {
             this[l + i] = arguments[i];
         }
         return this.length
     }
}

Putting that into horde.js.php should do it - try it out and let us
know, maybe add a patch to bugs.horde.org for it?

Thanks,
-chuck

--
"So we're talking near-sonic speeds for a vegetable."
Reasons to go to the Punkin Chunkin World Championships