[dev] Splitting datatree by application

Ben Chavet ben at horde.org
Wed Dec 7 21:46:24 PST 2005

> I'm trying to split my datatree tables, such that each application
> has their own set.  By doing so, I'm hoping to see an increase in
> performance.
>
> For example, I'd like to move all members of horde.shares.trean into
> trean_datatree and trean_datatree_attbributes tables.  trean_datatree
> is pretty straightforward, but trean_datatree_attributes is not.
>
> Sadly, SQL is not my strong point, so if anyone could help me develop
> a series of SQL statements that would move (or copy) the data, I'd
> greatly appreciate it.

After some discussion with Chuck on IRC, I decided to hash this out a
bit.  Attached is a patch to the datatree code that makes it aware of
an app using different tables.  Also included in the patch are
modifications to trean to demonstrate the proof-of-concept.

Please take a look, chew it up a bit, spit it back at me, and let me
know what you think.  If it looks like a good direction, I'll clean it
up if necessary and commit it.

--Ben

PS.  The reason I'm not just committing this is because I don't like to
mess with big changes to core code without another set of eyes looking
over it.  That, and reverting from CVS is a pain :)