[dev] MSSQL portability options

Ben Chavet ben at horde.org
Tue Jan 17 22:22:19 PST 2006

Ok, I think I've got the root of the mssql issues figured out.  It
seems that when mssql returns an "empty" string, it could really be an
empty string, or it could be a string of one or more spaces, making
empty-string comparisons fail.  Yeah, it's dumb, I know.  BUT, the
pear DB package has a portability option to take care of that,
DB_PORTABILITY_RTRIM, which just does an rtrim on all of the values
returned.

So, how much of a performance hit would it be to turn on that flag for
other databases?  It needs to be turned on for mssql, so do we turn it
on by default with the other portability flags we use, or do we make
mssql a special case, and make the code a bit uglier?

Thoughts?

--Ben