[dev] DIMP scrolling error - unable to access last batch of messages

Kevin Myer kmmyer at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 16:41:06 PST 2006

I've had a problem with DIMP for about as long as I've been tracking it,
that I think must relate to something peculiar in my setup.  Basically, I am
unable to access the last twenty messages in any folder, if I have my
messages sorted with oldest message first and by date.  I can scroll to the
bottom where they should be, the wheel spins, the message location count
changes, but the list of messages displayed still shows the top of my
folder.  If I use the arrows to scroll, the view changes to show other
messages but I can never reach the messages that are the bottom.  And as I
scroll, instead of being sorted by date, the messages seem to be somewhat
randomly sorted.

I thought perhaps that it had something to do with a folder with a larger
number of messages (my INBOX at work for instance has close to 7000
messages) but I have the same problem at home, with a much smaller INBOX of
only about 150 messages, as well as dozens of other folders with smaller
numbers of messages at work.  I thought maybe it was an IMAP proxy issue but
I have that disabled at home because Virtual Trash doesn't work with it.  So
I'm left with the only common thing being Cyrus IMAP as the mail server, or
something peculiar to viewing mail that is sorted by date, with unread/most
recent messages at the bottom.  I can stumble by with PHP but am even worse
with Javascript, so I'm not exactly sure how to go about debugging this.
I'm using both Apache 1.3 and 2.0, OpenBSD and Linux, and PHP 4.2 and 5.0,
and I see this behavior with those two combos.

Thoughts on what to look for?  And if there's a book or website that's made
a difference in your understanding of Javascript, I'd take that for starters
:)

Kevin