[dev] Portal layout

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Sun Feb 12 10:48:30 PST 2006

Quoting Roel Gloudemans <roel at gloudemans.info>:

> Some apps have a select box on that place. Adding the header here
> would just take up too much real estate. So I propose to drop it when
> there is already something there.

Right. This is why I'm not really in favor of putting this stuff in
the menu row.

> The mockup also shows another proposal. We can drop the layout page
> completely and add 'option' buttons to each block. When the option
> button is clicked you get the controls for positioning that block, an
> option to remove it, and an edit button to set the type.

My preference would be to do this by making the portal view dynamic
(i.e., drag blocks around in order to reorder or resize them). Then
add the edit and close buttons for dropping blocks and changing their
parameters.

> At the bottom we can add 2 buttons marked add to bottom and add to
> right. They are shown as headers here to indicate the relationship to
> the blocks, but this should be configurable per theme through CSS.

I still really don't like this particular solution. I'll mock
something up later today with the idea I'm turning over in my head...

-chuck

--
"So we're talking near-sonic speeds for a vegetable."
Reasons to go to the Punkin Chunkin World Championships