[dev] Automatic detection of mod_rewrite?

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Fri Mar 3 14:33:55 PST 2006

>>> Hm, I still like it as a not-so-bad solution where PATH_INFO doesn't
>>> work. But I don't have strong feelings for or against it.
>>
>> Do you mean where mod_rewrite doesn't work?
>
> Eh, of course.

Okay, so here's my line of thinking:

1. mod_rewrite obviously gives the prettiest urls
2. There aren't _that_ many servers that support PATH_INFO that
support mod_rewrite.
3. PATH_INFO is even disabled in some newer apache builds and distributions.
4. If the GET method isn't pretty, we can make it better - if
PATH_INFO works, we can make a simple GET string work.
5. Maintaining more code paths than we need to is bad.

Since we have to have GET as the baseline, and mod_rewrite means we
can use the same parsing (URLs get rewritten to what we'd expect via
GET), PATH_INFO seems expendable to me.

-chuck