[dev] [cvs] commit: imp/docs CHANGES imp/lib base.php framework/MIME/MIME Structure.php imp/config conf.xml

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Mar 21 17:04:04 PST 2006

> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:
>
>> slusarz     2006-03-20 23:55:37 PST
>>
>>   Modified files:
>>     docs                 CHANGES
>>     lib                  base.php
>>     MIME/MIME            Structure.php
>>     config               conf.xml
>>   Log:
>>   Bug: 2702
>>   Allow admin to specify local default character set to use for
>> broken messages
>>   without charset information.
>
> This has to be a preference like in any other email client.

I debated putting this in the preferences, but this is really not
something an end-user should normally be dealing with.  This is why
there are several sentences of explanations on what this is good for
in the config file - this would not transfer over as well to the
preferences (sure we could put it in a help entry, but we all honestly
know how few people read a help entry). In fact, this setting will
probably break more messages than it enables to be shown "correctly".

And if we put this in the preferences, then we really need to default
this to not only blank (i.e. RFC compliant = 'us-ascii') but I also
feel very strongly we need to have this locked by default.  Since I
don't think we have any other preferences locked by default, it seemed
like this would be better placed in the admin config.  Obviously I can
see the advantages of a preference (not everyone on a single
installation necessary shares the same language preferences, for
example), but then again this is a tremendous hack for people who
really don't understand (or are not willing to listen to the
explanation of) why these malformed messages should not be displayed
properly.  (sidenote: I still personally don't understand why people
complain about this when 99%+ of this malformed messages are spam in
the first place!)

michael