[dev] Groupware "Display Items" Patch

Nik Chanda nchanda at tachometry.com
Wed Mar 29 11:14:00 PST 2006

Jan--

I have completed a patch for Mnemo that mimics the Kronolith
functionality on the Notepad Display drop-down have added the Display
Notepads section under the My Notepads page. (see
http://bugs.horde.org/ticket/?id=3424 ).  I just have a couple questions:

1.  Would you like me to submit the patch to the current ticket, or open
a new ticket?  The current ticket is opened for Kronolith, so it may
make searching easier in the future if we opened a new ticked under Mnemo.

2.  I found the need to clone code in several places to build the lists
of "my_notepads" and "shared_notepads".  I would like to refactor to
consolidate this code as the functionality is used heavily throughout
the application.  Should this go in base.php, or in the Mnemo class?
Currently base.php holds the logic that determines if there has been a
change to the display list, but it seems that the Mnemo class should
retain control over this functionality.  What do you think?

3.  The general concept of refactoring groupware apps to support the My
Items and Shared Items display seems to be generic enough to build an
"abstract" method of getting these lists.  Each of the lists only
requires an item id, name and username, which is consistent throughout
all of the target applications. Would it make sense to move this
functionality down to the framework level?   Moving this into the
framework would reduce a significant amount of one-off cloning.  Any
thoughts?

Thanks.

Nik