[dev] Interesting design element

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Thu Apr 6 14:51:49 PDT 2006

One of my customers modified the Kronolith (and some other too)
interface to reduce some of the cluttering and complexity without
loosing any functionality. We already have a similar feature in DIMP
but I wondered why we didn't think of it as a solution for other
interfaces as well. It's simple, beautiful, effective and we already
have everything in Horde to implement this.

Take a look at the screenshots and you'll see what I mean. Parts of
large UIs can be expanded and collapsed dynamically with a simple
mouse click, for example with Horde_Hideable. We don't need to change
any backend code, just need to make sure that all hideable elements
are in a single container. It gracefully falls back to browsers
without javascript. And it looks nice.

I propose to use this in several places where we have very complex
forms, the event and compose screens come to mind immediately, but
there are probably other places as well. What do you think?

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/