[dev] Usability and UI in Horde

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Fri Apr 21 15:29:50 PDT 2006

Zitat von Rohan Dsouza <rohandsouza at gmail.com>:

> Let me introduce myself as a Usability and user Interface designer with
> about 6 years.
> As a frequent user of Horde mail i would like to contribute to its UI. In
> terms of Design, Usability and interface features.

Great! Though we try to improve Horde's interfaces all the time and
probably have a very good state regardig accessibility already, we are
definitely lacking good and consistent design and usability in some
places.
Especially Chuck does a great job on improving the interface and
design, but having someone focusing on this area would be nice
contribution.

> I view User Experience as a great factor that promotes good software.
>
> Please let me know if any such group exists in horde in which i could
> contribute.

There doesn't exist such a group, only individuals trying to improve
what we have.
There are several way how you could contribute. From your background
it's probably easiest if you browse around the applications and point
out things that need to be improved in your opinion, and discuss your
ideas on this list. Please make sure to work with the current
development (CVS HEAD) version, because the interface is consistenly
worked on.

Something that's really lacking Horde, and that I miss personally very
often is some kind of style/design guide, similar to Gnome's UI
guidelines. I don't know if this something you are interested in, but
it's worth discussing this anyway. If you are very familiar with the
framework and the applications, you "know" which elements, classes,
styles and attributes to use for certain design elements. But we're
still not consistent across all applications. And it would be a great
benefit if have something written down.
If I design a new screen as a developer, I would like to go to the
design guide, search for the elements I need to display in the screen
for the functionality I intend to code, and see immediately which HTML
elements and attributes and CSS classes I need to use. That would
speed up development a lot. Something like docs/CODING_STANDARDS,
though not for PHP code, but for HTML/CSS code.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/