[dev] Newbie

Ben Chavet ben at horde.org
Thu Apr 27 10:13:51 PDT 2006

>>     This is a great example of what I want to do this at this first
>> moment, figure out what everyone expects to get from LDAP. I think if
>> I do a good job at this, the whole thing will go smoothly and we'll
>> have a great project on our hands. :)

What I had in mind was more of an administrative module.  Something
along the lines of http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/~gawor/ldap/ but for
horde.  Perhaps this administrative module could provide an LDAP API
for other applications.

Something else that has come up in the past is having global LDAP
settings, similar to how we have global SQL settings now.  This is
probably a minor thing, but it would certainly make configuring Horde
for LDAP much easier.

I certainly see a lot of potential for tying horde into LDAP more
tightly.  Permissions is the first thing that comes to mind, like
Chuck mentioned.

A better prefs driver would be nice, as the current one really
clutters things up in the directory, IMO.  If we organized it right,
we could even do something along the lines of Group Policy Objects,
allowing administrators to enable, disable, or override user
preferences.

I had considered implementing an ldap datatree driver at one point,
but I'm not sure how well that would scale, since LDAP is meant to be
more of a read-fast, write-slow data storage area.  But, the data
structure fits perfectly, so it's certainly something to think about.

These are some of my ideas, and if I come up with anything else, I'll
be sure to post them.

--Ben