[dev] Remove multi-column portal blocks?

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Thu Apr 27 19:38:08 PDT 2006

Hey folks-

I've been looking at some other portal solutions, talking to some
folks about potential future directions, and also thinking about how
to make blocks easily draggable/sortable.

It's all much easier and more flexible if we get rid of the
requirement to allow blocks to be extra-wide. Just having x (still
configurable) columns, with blocks stacked on each other one over the
other, makes it much easier to drag them around and determine a sort
order (instead of the current grid). Also means you don't have to play
with the length of your task list to avoid wasting space.

Basically, instead of the current grid:

   a | c
   a |
   a |
   - | -
   b | d

Here, "c" has a lot of extra space and "d" is too far down because it
has to clear "a" as well. I'd propose:

   a | c
   a | -
   a | d
   - | -
   b | e

It also happens to simplify the code a lot, of course, but that's not
the main reason to do it. The only real bummer with this change that I
can think of is comics - but I'd just have one extra-wide oolumn in my
portal to accomodate that; I personally don't think it's worth it just
for that.

Any major objections?

-chuck