[dev] Command queue for Groo

Luciano Ramalho ramalho at gmail.com
Mon May 29 20:34:43 PDT 2006

Hi, all!

This is the first of many messages from one of your SoC students, the
one in charge of developing Groo, the Wandering Books application [1].

Once a user types or scans the ISBNs of a bunch of books, if some of
the numbers are not in our catalog, those ISBNs will be queued in a
table and an asynchronous process will fetch the book metadata from an
online source such as Amazon.com.

If a book has no ISBN (happens with the older ones), another queue
will be used to fetch book metadata given information such as title
and author, if we can't find it locally.

You probably already have several similar queues in Horde. Can you
point me to some of the simplest implementations of queues to control
asynchronous processes in your projects? Also, is there a canonical
way of periodically firing up those asynchronous processes in Horde?

Cheers,

Luciano

PS. Feel free to correct my terminology, as I am not knowledgeable
about the Horde jargon.