[dev] Hiding help entries

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Wed May 31 07:24:53 PDT 2006

Quoting Oliver Kuhl <okuhl at netcologne.de>:

>> Are we talking about help entries in the Options pages, or generic help
>> pages in the various apps that just happen to mention something controlled
>> by a preference?
>
> The point for me initially were the help entries for the options page.

Okay.  If we are only talking about the help for the Options pages, then
I can totally agree with removing help about any preferences which are
locked...

> I don't have an overview about how all help links in all applications
> are created. So what happenes with those help links somewhere in the
> applications when you disable a feature or lock a preference? If a
> feature is completely disabled, I would estimate the help links to
> disappear. If a preference is locked, I'm with Eric and not sure if in
> some situations a feature is still there (but not configurable
> anymore) and a help would still be appreciated.

Right now, we just show everything in the help file all the time.

Again, if the goal is just the help in Options, then the approach of
locked preferences is correct.  But I'll still ask the question, why
only go part of the way?  Why not go all the way and implement it for
all the help files, not just those on the Options page?  Again, easy
for me to ask as I'm not the one who will do the coding... :(

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Go Longhorns!