[dev] Usability and UI in Horde

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Fri Jun 16 07:26:43 PDT 2006

Quoting Rohan Dsouza <rohandsouza at gmail.com>:

> I did go through the demo in detail but am a little bit confused where to
> begin with.

Okay.

> As far as i have been able to understand is, this is a customizable portal
> with 'My News' section that has a click through screens (the other screens
> more or less have views). I have put together a pdf document on
> http://www.rohandsouza.com/horde/document.pdf with some of the screens that
> i went through.

So that's one option. The News portal is Jonah; there's also a general
Horde portal. Then there are all of the other applications.

> How would you like me to go about it, My observations so far is it requires
> a lot of Contextual help on the screens.

Well, suggestions for the portals would be fine. Definitely one place
to start. :)

> If you want i can send a review of the screens. Or i could download the
> markup and css and re-design the layout..

If you want to redesign the layout, go for it, but from my perspective
it'd be much more useful to document our layouts and to make them
internally consistent. And of course fix things that aren't easy to
use or understand, but not rewriting just because.

> It would be great if we can make it like a mini-project and define the
> scope.

Have you looked at http://bugs.horde.org/ and http://cvs.horde.org/ at
all? Those are full apps that are (more or less) publically
accessible, so I'd be curious what you think of those...

If the demo you have access to lets you use applications other than
News, I'd try that as well - your screenshots only cover a very small
slice of Horde.

Finally, I haven't forgotten putting together the Horde_Form demos for
you. Still in my inbox and on my todo list.

-chuck