[dev] beatnik

Ben Klang ben at alkaloid.net
Sat Aug 5 08:23:19 PDT 2006

Hi Duck,

On Aug 5, 2006, at 10:00 AM, Duck wrote:

> Hi
>
> I spent some time with Beatink today. I tried to make it swit a
> more to
> http://www.horde.org/horde/docs/?f=CODING_STANDARDS.html
I see that.  You did some great work, thanks for the cleanup.  Much
of this module was written as I was learning to use Horde and I never
got a chance to go back and made sure it fully conformed to the
standards.

> In while I tried to get in toch with Beating logic to marge Tinydns
> module
> with it. I have some question.
>
> 1.I guess adding a new domain is just adding a new SOA record. Just
> correct
> me.
That is correct.  A specific backend may have other requirements, but
the SOA is all that is really necessary to begin adding records.

> 2.you support only one DNS server?
Not sure what you mean here?  If you're asking do I only write
changes to one server, yes.  That is because LDAP takes care of
replication for me.  The same should be true of DNS servers.  I don't
expect Beatnik to become any kind of replication engine.

> 3.The groups what are used for? I deleted the code since was not
> implemented.
> But you have horde groups or an multilingual Datatree code in Merk for
> categories for this.
Groups were planned to be a way to manage large numbers of domains
logically.  I plan to remove groups in favor of Categories.
Basically when I am looking at my domain view I see about 300
domains.  I want to be able to categorize them by arbitrary groups.
I think categories is the way to go and you were right to remove the
old dead Groups code I had started on.

> 4.I will remove falling back to fist domain. It is a security issue
> if no
> domain permissions are performed. And as I see they are not for now.
Please don't.  I'd rather you just add the security checks.  The
functionality is designed to allow a user with access to just their
domain to go directly to their view.  You are correct that there is
no security checks in place yet but that's why this project is in the
incubator.

> 5.I wonder why is used name ids like an array “id[0]”. Why they are
> not
> just “id”.
I'll have to go read the code to remember the logic behind this.
I'll get back to you.

> Duck
/BAK/
--