[dev] Pigeon Authentication

Ben Klang ben at alkaloid.net
Wed Aug 30 08:14:59 PDT 2006

On Aug 30, 2006, at 12:45 AM, Ben Chavet wrote:

> After really digging in to pigeon authentication, it seems to me
> that using pigeon as an app to authenticate against doesn't really
> work.  There are too many fields besides user name and password
> required for a general LDAP connection.  Look at the current pigeon
> CVS to see what I mean.
>
> If anyone can think of a good reason to continue to work on this,
> I'm all ears.  Otherwise, I'm inclined to strip that (currently not
> working) functionality.  Especially since we already have LDAP
> authentication via Horde.
I agree completely.  Unless you wanted to somehow use the LDAP
functionality within pigeon to "drive" the Horde LDAP auth (and I'm
not saying that's a good idea), then there's no need to authenticate
via pigeon.

> I visualize pigeon to be geared more towards an LDAP administrator,
> or a user base who is familiar with LDAP.  Both of which would know
> what information to put into the login form.

Sounds good to me.

> Thoughts?
>
> --Ben
>
> P.S. Pigeon is open to development by whoever is interested
> (B.Klang?).
Yep, I've been playing with it but Vilma and Beatnik have won more
mindshare recently.  I'll find you on IRC.

/BAK/
--
Ben Klang
Alkaloid Networks