[dev] Horde_Graph

Michael Rubinsky mike at theupstairsroom.com
Sun Oct 29 07:58:29 PST 2006

Any chance for arguing a case for reinstating Horde_Graph? It was a
nice, simple, light-weight solution.  The pear package, Image_Graph is
not as intuitive, especially when trying to integrate into horde code.

I started working on code I had written a bit ago that used
Horde_Graph and in the process of refactoring to use Image_Graph, came
across some problems with integrating it into horde code.  The issues -

1) Without basically 'forking' some of the classes, there is no way to
buffer the output of the done() method (which causes the graph to be
drawn).  So...when displaying a graph in a Block, the graph is not
displayed within the block, but at the top of the page - when it is
displayed at all.  I believe this is mostly due to the number of
levels of inheritance in the various objects that make up a single
graph...and each parent all the way up the chain needs to call it's
own done() method.  I got around this by making the necessary changes
in the classes I was working with, but now I have to include those
classes with my code...and it's a bit of a hack to instantiate since
the factory implementation in Image_Graph assumes all subclasses exist
in the Image_Graph directory structure....

2) There are issues with the code that produces the graph legends.
Most notably, the colors in the legend don't match the colors on the
graph...they just move on to the next colors in the fill array. Also,
displaying the legend is a bit tricky, as the documented way of doing
it via 'layouts' does not currently seem to work.

3) More of an aesthetic issue, but unless you have true type fonts
installed and properly configured for use in Image_Graph, the
displayed font is terribly small and there is no easy way to change
this that I can see without making changes to the base classes...

If I am missing something really obvious here, I'm all ears.  Has any
one here successfully used Image_Graph within a horde app?

--
Thanks,
Mike

"Am I getting old, or has the supermarket been playing great music lately?"