[dev] Patches for basic CalDAV support

Håvard Wigtil havardw at pvv.org
Thu Nov 23 13:48:53 PST 2006

I've managed to get together a patch for basic CalDAV support, attached
here. The current result is enough to get Evolution and Sunbird to read
events from Horde. The patches is also posted in bug 4267.

I'm no PHP hacker, as should be obvious from the result. I think it's
been about seven years since I last wrote a PHP script above 4 lines.
(But I'm a fairly competent all-round programmer, so my PHP will
hopefully improve quickly if I continue this work.)

CalDAV is closely related to (and an extension of) WebDAV, so I've
implemented the support in the webdav module. If / when the code grows
larger, it should probably get its own file.
I'm hoping that the code is explained sufficiently by code comments, so
I'll just give an overview here.

date_caldav_dates.patch is just a small patch to make the date class
accept dates in the CalDAV form. This can be dropped and the parsing
handled in the CalDAV code instead if you prefer to leave the Date class
untouched.

The main patch, webdav_basic_caldav.patch, implements support for the
http REPORT type, specifically CalDAV calendar-query.
Only the subset needed to get Evolution and Sunbird is implemented for
now, I'd welcome testing with (and network traces from) other clients.

Is there sufficient interest in CalDAV support among the core developers
that it would be possible to get an improved version of this patch
integrated?
And what needs to change before this patch is in an commit-able state?
Any comments?

I'd like to continue to improve the CalDAV support, first by getting
WebDAV PUT and DELETE working properly, and then by extending the CalDAV
support to Nag and Mnemo. (I know that the PUT patch has been
integrated, but it doesn't work for me yet.)
If I continue, I hope I'll be able to submit a series of small patches
(one feature at a time) rather that working for a long time on a monster
patch.

I hope this work could be useful, I'd love to get some feedback.
--
Håvard Wigtil || http://wigtil.net