[dev] [cvs] commit: ansel/scripts/sql - New directory

Duck duck at obala.net
Thu Dec 14 08:13:26 PST 2006

On Thursday 30 November 2006 21:45, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
> > Having the permission in a configurable table will allow even having the
> > same data for multiplay (v)hosts. For example you have a working
> > “teachers” team permission and an “students” domain permission on the
> > same data but completely different users/groups/authentications.
>
> I'm not following you here - can you elaborate/rephrase?

Permissions are accesses very very often. On the other side they changes
rarely. So why don't cache SQL results. Or least allow us to (optionally)
move them in a separate table?

This would be easy to do, since permissions data are serialized and only the
root (horde_datatree) table is used. In general checking a permission would
be very faster, because we will have a very small table, with much faster
access by the server.

And as permission settings changes rarely, servers with query cache, will
cache permission data until data is changed.

Then if we have permission data in a separate table we can use the same
data/installation on different hosts. With just the difference of their own
authentication and permissions. Like you will have a working team updating
some data on one host with one authentication, and a public (registered)
users accessing them on another host witch completely other
authentications/groups.

Duck