[dev] Horde with PHP 5.2

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Tue Dec 26 18:34:30 PST 2006

Quoting Muhammad Shoaib Riaz <shoaib at digitallinx.com>:

> We are a webhosting company operating our machines in USA. Recently
> we've upgraded our server from Php v4.4.2 to Php 5.2. Everything was
> working perfect untill this upgrade was completed. After the upgrade,
> the horde urls e.g. http://webmail.domain.com/horde are displaying a
> blank page. We've run the test script to see what problem there might
> be and didn't see much of our help in it. However we did see the
> following message:
>
> "Wow, a mystical version of PHP from the future. Let
> dev at lists.horde.org know what version you have so we can fix this
> script."
>
> Apparently, the horde installation isn't happy with the stated
> installed version of PHP. Can you please confirm if this is the
> problem or there's something else.
>
> Our machine configuration is as follows:
> Windows Server 2003
> IIS v6.0
> PLESK 7.6
>
> Horde Applications
> Horde: 3.0
> Imp: H3 (4.0.1) (run Imp tests)
> Passwd: 3.0-cvs
> Turba: H3 (2.0) (run Turba tests)
>
> Please note that the upgrade of PHP was made manually and not with
> plesk however the plesk settings were kept in mind while doing so.
>
> We're looking forward to your urgent reply as our clients are
> extremely anxious to access their webmail once again.

You have ancient versions of Horde and IMP that you have failed to
patch for important security updates. Your customers should be anxious
for you to do that before making their webmail publicly accessible
again.

As to what's wrong, the test script you have is simply old, and a
blank page could mean any number of things, most likely is a
misconfiguration or the fact that you didn't compile in a required PHP
extension to the new PHP. You need to look at your logs, look at a
newer test.php, look at PHP's errors (either logging or displaying
them at E_ALL), etc.

-chuck