[dev] SyncML: Upgrading from Synthesis 2.5 to Synthesis 3.0

Karsten Fourmont fourmont at gmx.de
Sat Jan 13 07:48:18 PST 2007

Hi,

I just upgraded my Windows "bloody" Mobile device from Synthesis 2.5 to
3.0. Here's some info about how to do the update smoothly:

To use the SyncML1.2 protocol, you need to upgrade your XML_WBXML
framework package. There's a small change for that in cvs.

The Synthesis 3.0 client sends a different device ID than 2.5.
So the server can't know this device has been used before and enforces a
Slow Sync. This results in duplicate data or sync failures (for Turba).
So the the best way to go is:

1) *Before* upgrading, do a replication to ensure you have all the
phone's data in horde.

2) Install Synthesis 3.0. Then go to Extras->Settings->Organizer and set
the Sync mode of all databases you sync to "Reload Device". On the next
sync, Synthesis will delete all data on your client and then reload
everything from the Horde server. After that the sync mode will be
automatically set to "normal sync".

I admit having deleted all your entries in the phone requires some
confidence in Horde's SyncML ;-) Better make a backup first or start
with something you won't miss that much: like tasks...

The reload device is a very nice feature to get things back in line
after some heavy testing. You can delete all stale sync data in Horde by
goging to /horde/services/portal/syncml.php and hit the "Delete All
SyncML Data" button, then do a Reload Device.

Other than that, Synthesis 3.0 works like a charm. I'd like to make use
of some of the new features (photo replication anyone?), but getting a
stable SyncML version to be included in Horde 3.2 has priority atm.

Cheers,
  Karsten