[dev] Agora api

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Sun Apr 15 04:39:11 UTC 2007

Quoting Michael Rubinsky <mike at theupstairsroom.com>:

> I've been wanting to change the _agora_numMessages() method to
> accept  an array of forums to retrieve counts for - and to return an
> array of  results.  Obviously, this would break any apps that are
> currently  using this method. Since agora has not been released, and
> the only app  in my checkout (which does not contain all of
> them)that currently uses  it is jonah (which also has not yet been
> released) - would anyone  object to this change (along with the
> changes to jonah)?
>
> Basically, I'm trying to make retrieving comment counts more
> efficient  by cutting down the number of api calls necessary to, for
> example, get  the number of comments for each image in a gallery.
>
> If not, how about additional api method(s) that accept arrays of forums?

It's okay with me. It's tempting to make the method just deal with
both forms, and return appropriately, but that doesn't play nice with
xml-rpc or soap where we say what arguments the method takes and there
isn't a good way to give both options. So the alternative is probably
adding a new api method of some sort.

-chuck