[dev] Proposal for Resource booking extension for Kronolith

Stephane Pointu stephane.pointu at purplelabs.com
Thu Apr 19 12:33:07 UTC 2007

Jan Schneider wrote:

> Stephane Pointu wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Below is our proposal for implementing resources management in Horde.
>> It will be based on Kronolith.
>>
>> The principle:
>> When creating/editing an event, the user will be allowed to select a
>> resource to be added to the event. If the resource is available, it will
>> be booked (for recurrent events, only the 1st occurence is checked). If
>> not, the user will be allowed to update the event to match a period
>> where the resource is available, or remove the resource from the event.
>> A view link is added next to each resource for the user to be able to
>> view the free-busy information for the resource.
>>
>> Optionnally, for recurrent events, we can ask the users to confirm their
>> next booking just after the previous event to make sure a booked
>> resource is really used. The resource will be freed if the user does not
>> confirm after x days.
>>
>> Optionnaly again, old bookings can be deleted automatically after a
>> defined period of 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year.
>>

>> Database table to be created:
>> events_resources
>> + event_id -> Taken from events table
>>   resources_names
>>   event_date -> confirmed booking
>>   next_event_date -> next event to be confirmed
>>
>> Below are 2 screenshots that will help to better understand our proposal.
>>
>> Please comment on this.
>>

> You are working against the release version of Kronolith, but you need to
> work against CVS HEAD if you want your patches to be accepted.
Of course we will work against CVS HEAD. Guillaume has not started the
coding yet.

> Why don't you "userless admin shares" like proposed by Chuck?
We missed this part. So to make sure we well understood, what is needed
here is just an interface to create these shares? Then for the rest of
the resources booking, we can do as we suggested but using the shares?

Where would you suggest the creation of these shares? In the
Administration section?

> Specifying resources in the configuration seems too inflexible to me. If
> using shares you could attach real names, descriptions, resource types etc.
> to the resources.
>
> I don't quite understand the recurrence functionality yet.
For recurrence we will ask the user to confirm his next booking. This is
an optional feature. We wanted this feature because we saw that a
meeting room is booked every week without being used at all occurences.
So the resource will be booked for a specified time and a mail will be
sent to the user. If he does not confirm before this specified time, the
resource will be freed.

- --
Stephane Pointu
Purple Labs S.A.