[dev] Questioning Horde_Currencies

Duck duck at obala.net
Wed May 2 13:35:34 UTC 2007

Hode_Currencies is actually a copy of locale with the addition of exchange
rates.

I don't like to stick to server users current locale. It can happen that the
locale of the user does not exists or for example in Slovenia we move to euro
but most distributions or current server installations still advertise our
old currency – tolar.

Then with Horde_Currencies you can have multiply fractional digits. An
piratical example. In customer world 2 fractional digits are normally used.
But in business word 3 or even 4 digits are often. So for example in  Merk
admin you enter items in 4 digits, and then you have a website installation
sowing prices in 2 digits for normal costumers and another site with 3 digits
for B2B sells. And all you must do is create different tables for you desired
currencies and they digits.

I agree, that a feature to format a price in the user locale will be
appreciated, bur for financial applications we must have greater control over
it.

Duck