[dev] resources calendars in Kronolith

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Sat May 12 01:34:24 UTC 2007

Quoting Guillaume Estrade <guillaume.estrade at purplelabs.com>:

> I explained in a previous mail how I imagined it.
> My company already developed something. See now.png attached
>
> Now, each resources is a virtual user in the LDAP and thus with all
> information like the users, but this process is very slow and does
> not work when editing or deleting a meeting.
> I would like to no longer use virtual users, but dedicated resources instead.

Okay. First, other systems use the attendees interface to handle
resources as well as people - I think a list on the main form with
checkboxes is going to be really hard to use in anything other than a
tiny installation.

> The principle:
> When creating/editing an event, the user will be allowed to select a
> resource to be added to the event. If the resource is available, it will
> be booked (for recurrent events, only the 1st occurrence is checked). If
> not, the user will be allowed to update the event to match a period
> where the resource is available, or remove the resource from the event.
> A view link is added next to each resource for the user to be able to
> view the free-busy information for the resource.

Using the attendee interface gives you the free/busy information along
with everyone else's info, and unifies the timeslice you're looking at
also.

For resources, they could be shares, just like calendars, but a
separate tree of them. They'll act as owners for their calendars;
you'll need the concept of system-owned resources for that and you'll
probably want to hide their calendars from regular views and only
allow looking at it in free/busy views.

-chuck