[dev] Jabber-client in DIMP?

Adam Nemeth aadaam at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 00:32:46 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I've been using IMP in various projects since 1999. Now I'm dealing
with jabber things now after I felt I've played with web 2.0  enough.

I've been searching for an open source alternative for gmail's
client-in-webmail, and I think [D]IMP would be an ideal candidate.

SAPO has one of the world's largest jabber/XMPP deployment, powered by
ejabberd. I think it would make them sense if a gmail-like client
could be embedded in this project, sponsored by them.

I've made a simple jabber client in javascript, there's another in
comments as well:
http://jabbermania.blogspot.com/2007/06/jsjabber-educational-client-in.html
- just to show that it's easy to begin.

The only issue is authentication. If there'd be a way to authenticate
a jabber client with horde credentials, it could be easily done.
Possibly a simple client could be put in an iframe,or be part of the
project.

Also it could be integrated with Turba, showing presence fields for
certain contacts.

(I'd appreciate an openfire support, but probably ejabberd support -
since external authentication is done by shellscripts/c programs, not
in java is easier; I think a larger deployment like SAPO would prefer
the iframe solution because of ejabberd's built-in high availability
webserver, but for the most cases there won't be that much users :)

What do you think?
--
Aadaam <aadaam at gmail.com>