[dev] Video and uploadprogress

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Thu Sep 6 03:44:53 UTC 2007

Quoting Duck <duck at obala.net>:

> oky. I loaded 10k galleries and 25k images on my laptop. I started to look at
> the sql code first since is often the most problematic part of the api. When
> I open the basic gallery list, I see 2 select queries are performed on DT. I
> extracted them en performed it in a benchmark script. The first takes 0.0025
> sec and the second takes 0.1975 sec. My dedicated app query takes only 0.0011
> on the full 75K galleries list. But of course has no joins or permission
> checking. Summarizing not taking in consideration Hrode speed compared to an
> dedicated application, only the sql queries needed are 180 times slower.

Lack of permission checking is the key there - yes we can do better in
Horde, but of course you can make it faster without that. :)

> Some ideas that comes in my mind
> - move galleries out of DT (less sql work, no joins etc)

Yup, that (for Ansel and also for folders in Trean) is the next step -
need to separate the hierarchy stuff from permissions, though.

> - cache shares (all application will benefit)

If we do the above, there's not going to be that much of a share to
cache, is there?

> - cache galleries views (avoid all sql and php processing)

As long as it can take into account permissions, that'd certainly be nice.

-chuck