[dev] Oscar status

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Mon Oct 22 15:49:13 UTC 2007

>>> Just my .02 here, but I'd be hesitant to make our new code 5.3+ only
>>>  at this point...I'd prefer to wait until it has been released and
>>> is  more proven, with at least one or two bug-fix releases under
>>> it's  belt...plus, as you said, we've got a good number of 5.2 stuff
>>> that's  running well.
>>
>> I agree.
>
> We're talking about Horde 4 code here. The stuff that is currently in
> the incubator, and libraries like Rdo and Horde_View, are sort of in
> limbo since Horde 4 hasn't officially kicked off. But I think that if
> we don't target Horde 4 for PHP 5.3+ we will be losing an opportunity
> to take a big leap.
>
> There are certainly dangers that we want to avoid with trying to
> "rewrite everything from scratch!" and that's not what I want to do -
> but I do want to make sure that the Horde 4 framework packages are
> namespaced and autoloaded, etc. from the get go, and we can migrate
> applications to newer app organization more slowly.
>
> Horde 4 is going to take a while and I think we should have it target
> 5.3+ from the start.

Absolutely and I don't want to be misunderstood in that matter. What
I'm talking about are the apps currently in incubator that work fine
with 5.2. But I didn't consider that those are relying on code like
Horde_Rdo which is definitely going Horde 4, aka php 5.3.
And I don't see us Having Horde 3.5 or 3.9 or 3 1/2 for php 5.2. So I
guess the stuff in incubator has to be updated to 5.3/namespaces. Or
forked.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/