[dev] Ansel / Horde_Image_Effect and image format choice.

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Wed Oct 24 09:12:07 UTC 2007

Zitat von Michael Rubinsky <mike at theupstairsroom.com>:

> Quoting Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org>:
>
>> Quoting Michael Rubinsky <mike at theupstairsroom.com>:
>>
>>> A quick test of ansel and a few newly generated thumbs -
>>>
>>> http://theupstairsroom.com/ansel.png
>>>

>>> Still lots of work to do, and need to tweak some stuff, but we're
>>> getting there :)
>>
>> Wow. That does look nice. :)
>
> Cool. Glad you like :)
>
> The only issues I see right now are that:
>
> 1) These are PNG-24 images, so they do not play nice with IE.  So,
> if  we decide to go this route, we need to either revert back to our
>  current look - which means being able to generate 'prettythumb' and
>  'thumb' views and serve up the correct view for each browser - or
> use  some IE magic like AlphaImageLoader.

We need the fallback anyway, see 2. But I'm fine with using the loader
for this single purpose too. OTOH, this shouldn't be an issue with IE
7 anymore anyway, right? And since IE 7 is being available for
non-WGA'ed Windows versions too now, the adoption rate could be fast
enough to completely ignore IE 6-.

> 2) Along the same lines, and at the risk of restating the obvious,
> this will only work when Ansel is configured to use PNG format.  So
> again, we would probably have to have the ability to generate a
> prettythumb or thumb view based on the configured image format...and
>  fall back to our current view if we are using jpg.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/