[dev] Ansel thumbnail choices?

Michael Rubinsky mike at theupstairsroom.com
Mon Oct 29 14:18:26 UTC 2007

> Quoting Michael Rubinsky <mike at theupstairsroom.com>:
>
>> Yea, not a bad idea, I was just concerned about adding too many
>> image  files to the vfs.  But I guess the thumbnail file sizes are
>> small  enough...and there wouldn't be all *that* many different
>> thumb styles  to choose from  :)
>
> Also seems like for any gallery, you'd just need to generate one
> "pretty" and one fallback thumbnail, right? Having multiple kinds of
> pretty thumbs doesn't seem necessary to me.

Well, that was what I was questioning.  My thought was that in the
future I could see allowing the user to choose from different styles
of prettythumbs.  The rounded, shadowed one that's currently in there,
plus any number of other styles.  In particular I was thinking of a
Polaroid-style thumb with a larger bottom border where we could
overlay the image title onto the image.

If we *do* allow choices for different pretty thumbs, then the issue
becomes having to regenerate the pretty thumbs whenever the user
changes styles....and how to track internally when that needs to be
done...probably another field in the (yet to be created) gallery
table.  My thought was that if we're not going to have a *lot* of
choices, then it makes sense to keep any generated images.  Not a big
deal though if you think it would be overloading the vfs.

Thanks,
mike

--
The Horde Project (www.horde.org)