[dev] Ansel Galleries / Shares

Michael Rubinsky mike at theupstairsroom.com
Sun Nov 25 21:38:55 UTC 2007

Quoting Duck <duck at obala.net>:

> On Sunday 25 of November 2007 16:10:31 Michael Rubinsky wrote:
>> We actually discussed this more on IRC, and after talking it over with
>> Chuck, I've come to realise that keeping Shares is a must. While I'm
>> sure we can all agree there would be performance benifits (at least
>> with current Share code) to keeping shares out of Ansel, let me just
>> paraphrase what was said - Shares is a pretty "core" concept to Horde
>> and it's what will help differentiate Ansel from other similar apps.
>> Keeping the shares allows Ansel to more tightly integrate with the
>> other groupware apps, allowing setting permisssions per group, user
>> etc....
>
> Why not move it of DT and implement gallery permissions?

We would lose the tight integration with the other groupware apps, the
permissions interface is only available to admins, and we need the
hierarchical data that's stored in the share system along with the
perms.

What we decided on is to eventually (attempt to) move the gallery
_data_ out of the DT/Share....keeping the shares for the hierarchical
relationships and permissions for now.  Eventually either Shares will
move out of the DT, or we will try a different share architecture.

> This will make both sides happy.
> As data accessing will be much faster and permissions are already cached.
>
> Duck

Thanks,
mike

--