[dev] [cvs] commit: genie list.php genie/config types.php.dist genie/lib Driver.php Genie.php genie/templates/item item.inc genie/templates/list item_headers.inc items.inc

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Fri Nov 30 16:12:10 UTC 2007

Zitat von Duck <duck at obala.net>:

> On Friday 30 of November 2007 11:38:16 Jan Schneider wrote:
>> >   Add basic item type definition
>>
>> It's good that we finally have a way to specify product types at all,
>> though I wonder if we could come up with a solution that doesn't
>> require yet another configuration file. Prefs come to mind. They are
>> not optimal because you end up loading the prefs for any user that you
>> display the wishlist for. But it's still the most flexible solution,
>> and we can't provide hashes with conf.xml.
>>
>> Then again I wonder if the types are necessary at all, since you could
>> do the same with categories which already work fine with a mixed user
>> environment.
>
> Users tends to describe their data in tons of strange ways. So later it will
> be hard to analyze data, if we will allow users to manage types. For the
> marketing aspect is better to define people type in a clear way to find
> correct advertisement. So I wont let users to change types. And if we have
> the control over it, we can even do something in the way of having the system
> know how to handle a standard list of product types. For example, a book
> should get its ISBN number in the product_id field and we can call Groo to
> get book data. And I don't know how to do specify this hooks in way other
> than a configuration file. As lest for  now I will leave it as it is.

I don't care about marketing or advertising. I care about users. And
as you said, users will come up with all kind of interesting
categorizing that we didn't even think of. I want to encourage that,
not punish it. If this was implemented through a preference, you could
still lock your users down if you want to.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/