[dev] jsonrpc vs xmlrpc and gzinflate() buffer error

Michael Rubinsky mike at theupstairsroom.com
Fri Nov 30 20:39:26 UTC 2007

> Quoting Michael Rubinsky <mike at theupstairsroom.com>:
>
>> I'm going nuts with this.  Can anyone else verify this behaviour?
>>
>> I'm calling the (newly added) _whups_addVersion() method via rpc:
>>
>> $request = Horde_RPC::request('jsonrpc',
>> 'http://server.com/horde/rpc.php', 'tickets.addVersion',
>>                                 array($queueId, 'version string',
>> 'version description'), array('user' => 'myname', 'pass' => 'mypass'));
>>
>> I consistently get a gzinflate() buffer error in
>> HTTP_Response::_decodeGzip() with this when calling TO any box other
>> than localhost.  On the otherhand, changing the call to xmlrpc as so:
>>
>> $request = Horde_RPC::request('xmlrpc',
>> 'http://server.com/horde/rpc.php', 'tickets.addVersion',
>>                                 array($queueId, 'version string',
>> 'version description'), array('user' => 'myname', 'pass' => 'mypass'));
>>

>> works like a charm.  I'm out of ideas after a few hours of
>> playing...any hints?  ;)

This seems to be some type of memory error in php/zlib.  If I return
an array from the api call like: array('test1', 'test2');  I get the
'gzinflate() buffer error'.  If I return a longer array like:
array('test1', 'test2', 'test3', 'test4') I get an out of error
message - and it tries to allocate *all* my system memory.  There is a
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=42663 that describes this error (which
occurs with truncated gzipped data). I'm not sure why the data is
being truncated though. No matter...giving up at the moment since it
seems it's at least partially due to a PHP bug. Turning off output
compression :)

Thanks,
mike

--