[dev] Updated Prefs_ldap driver

Ben Klang ben at alkaloid.net
Sun Dec 30 20:20:17 UTC 2007

To anyone out there who uses the Prefs_ldap driver, I would like to
ask your assistance in reviewing the commits I just made to HEAD (a
patch against FW_3 is attached to this message).  Barring any serious
concerns, I would like to have this same change applied to FW_3.  My
rationale for these changes:

* The existing configuration options for 'fetchdn' do not work, and
in fact can break pref storage/retrieval if enabled.  This is
supposed to allow the driver to rebind as the current user to write
preferences, but it doesn't work as advertised.
* Not all LDAP errors were being caught before, and when they were
caught, the error messages were not localized.
* The updated conf.xml has a more intuitive mechanism for choosing
how to authenticate when writing Preferences to LDAP.

Thanks for taking the time to consider these changes.
/BAK/

--
Ben Klang
Alkaloid Networks LLC